Family of man killed in police incident submits $50 million


Los Angeles police had repeatedly tasered the nephew of a Black Lives Matter co-founder in the hours before his death.

Lawyers for the five-year-old son of a man who died in the United States after Los Angeles police repeatedly shocked him with a stun gun have filed $50 million in damages against the city.

The claim is required before Keenan Anderson’s son can sue the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) for civil rights violations after officers tasered his father six times in less than a minute to subdue him on Jan. 3.

“He was a flower just beginning to bloom, but the LAPD, unfortunately, was a hammer,” the family’s attorney, Carl Douglas, said at a news conference announcing the case. “They treated that flower like it was a nail.”

The claim was filed Friday on behalf of Anderson’s son, Syncere Kai Anderson, who was standing alongside their attorneys along with his mother, Gabrielle Hansell.

Anderson — a 31-year-old high school English teacher in Washington, D.C., and cousin of Patrisse Cullors, co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement — was a suspect in a traffic accident in Venice, California, on the U.S. West Coast. Police say he ran away from officers and resisted arrest.

Anderson screamed for help after being pinned to the street by officers, according to a video released by the LAPD.

“They’re trying to kill me,” Anderson yelled.

Footage showed an officer pressing his forearm to Anderson’s chest and an elbow to his neck.

“They’re trying to make me George Floyd,” Anderson said, referring to the black man killed by officers in Minnesota.

Police Chief Michel Moore said Anderson initially obeyed officers when they investigated whether he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol. But he was subdued after he ran in the middle of the street and resisted arrest.

An LAPD toxicology test found cocaine and cannabis in Anderson’s body, though those results are separate from the coroner’s independent report, the chief said.

The officers involved have not yet been named, but their union issued a statement saying the family and its lawyers “shamelessly tried to take advantage” of a “tragic incident”.

After being subdued, Anderson went into cardiac arrest and died in a hospital about four hours later.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here