The rest of the show was stopped when the injured dancers, who were performing alongside the band, were taken to the hospital. Several members of the public were reportedly treated for shock.
The city’s new Chief Executive, John Lee, said he was “shocked…I extend my condolences to those injured and hope they make a speedy recovery.”
Authorities in Hong Kong have launched an investigation and say they were in contact with organizers the day before the incident to discuss safety. City Secretary for Culture, Sports and Tourism Kevin Yeung Yun-hung said on Friday that initial findings indicated a metal suspension cord had broken, according to local media.
Earlier this week, concerns were raised about Mirror’s 12-concert series at the Hong Kong Coliseum, after a performer fell from the stage – although he was not seriously injured. Shortly after, a petition calling for more security measures for the band’s shows garnered more than 13,000 signatures.
The organizer of the concert, MakerVille, said in a statement that all remaining shows would be cancelled. Refunds will also be issued to those who attended Mirror’s performance on July 28.
Formed in 2018 through a reality TV show, the hugely popular boy band is credited with reviving Cantopop and brightening up the city, which has experienced heightened tensions with mainland China and mass protests in recent years, next to the coronavirus pandemic.