The move comes after the Supreme Court on Monday ordered the provincial government to file an FIR within 24 hours in Khan’s assassination bid.
The FIR named the attacker, Naveed Mohammad Basheer, as the prime suspect. However, it does not mention the names of Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah and a senior Pakistani military official, Major General Faisal Naseer, three people whom Khan had accused of plotting to kill him. murder.
“We are going to challenge the FIR in the apex court”, a senior leader of Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party Fawad Chaudhry said.
The delay in registering a case in the Punjab province, which PTI is at the helm, has raised eyebrows.
“I wonder if, as a former Prime Minister of Pakistan, I can’t register an FIR for an attack on me, what will happen to the common man,” he said. On Sunday, Khan said no FIR has been registered for the failed “assassination attempt” on his life, as authorities refuse to file the case unless he removes an army general’s name from the complaint.
The Punjab Police said it registered the FIR at the direction of the Supreme Court and nominated the accused, Naveed, under Section 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act and Sections 302, 324 and 440 of the Pakistan Penal Code.
Police said they took Basheer from the crime scene after he confessed to his crime. In a confession video, Basheer said he attacked Khan for “misleading the public.”
Khan, 70, suffered bullet injuries in the right leg on Thursday when two gunmen fired a volley of bullets at him and others climbing onto a container-mounted truck in the Wazirabad area of Punjab province, where he led a protest march against the Shehbaz Sharif government.
“I was hit by 4 bullets,” Khan said in his address to the nation from a hospital in Lahore on Nov. 4, a day after he was shot during a rally in Punjab province.
He underwent surgery on the gunshot wounds at Shaukat Khanum Hospital owned by his charitable organization.
The former cricketer-turned-politician who underwent surgery was released from hospital on Sunday and moved to his private residence in the city, hospital officials said.
Khan’s march to the federal capital to demand new elections was suspended after last week’s shooting.
Senior PTI leader Faisal Javed Khan said the march will resume from Wazirabad on Nov. 10.
Khan, who was removed from power in a parliamentary vote of no confidence in April, says he will not participate until he recovers from his injuries.
The federal government led by Shehbaz Sharif has rejected Khan’s demand for new elections, which will not take place until after August next year.
The political unrest in Pakistan stems from the economic crisis and the effects of devastating floods.