President Ebrahim Raisi has no interest in meeting his US counterpart Joe Biden
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi does not believe that a face-to-face meeting with Biden on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in New York would be of any benefit to his country or in any way help seal the historic nuclear deal. of 2015.
“I don’t think such a meeting would happen… I don’t believe a meeting or conversation with him would be helpful,” Raisi told CBS reporter Lesley Stahl in a 60 Minutes interview that airs Sunday. Both Raisi and Trump will address the UNGA next week, but a meeting between the two leaders was never officially on the agenda.
Asked if he could see any differences between the Biden administration and that of his predecessor Donald Trump, Raisi noted that there were none from Tehran’s perspective, particularly regarding the nuclear deal formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
“The new administration in the US, they claim they are different from the Trump administration… But we have not seen any changes in reality,” said the Iranian leader.
In the first nuclear deal signed in 2015 by Iran, the US, the UK, France and Germany – as well as Russia, China and the EU – Tehran agreed to certain restrictions on its nuclear industry in exchange for the easing of economic sanctions and other incentives.
In 2018, however, the accord was torpedoed by the US under then-President Donald Trump, who unilaterally withdrew from the accord, saying it was fundamentally flawed, and reimposed sanctions on Tehran. As a result, Iran gradually began to reduce some of its obligations under the accord.
Despite campaign promises to revive the deal, Biden made no progress in this area.
Amid efforts to revive the deal, a draft of the new deal leaked last month, showing a four-stage process that will begin with the immediate lifting of sanctions against dozens of Iranian banks and other economic entities. . Iran would also immediately begin scaling back its nuclear activities.
Earlier this week, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken accused Iran of taking “one step back” in conversation, making short-term agreements about the matter “unlikely.” The top US diplomat referred to the “last” text of the agreement, proposed by the EU on 8 August. Since then, the US and Iran have responded several times about this.