Iranian police say Mahsa Amini’s death is ‘unfortunate’ as protesters take to the streets | CNN



Iranian police called Mahsa Amini’s death an “unfortunate incident” and denied she was physically harmed in custody, the semi-official Fars News news agency said Monday.

Amini, 22, who was detained and detained by Iran’s vice squad in Tehran on Tuesday, died after falling into a coma on Friday.

CCTV footage released by Iranian state media appeared to show her collapsing in a “re-education center” where she had been taken by vice squad to receive “guidance” on her clothing.

“The incident was unfortunate for us and we never want to witness such incidents,” Greater Tehran Police Commander Hossein Rahimi said at a press conference on Monday.

Rahimi said “false allegations” had been made against Iranian police and that Amini did not sustain any physical injuries during and after her arrest.

He added that the police “had done everything” to keep her alive.

Iranian officials have said Amini died after suffering a “heart attack” following her arrest on Tuesday, but her family says she had no pre-existing heart condition, according to Emtedad News, an Iranian pro-reform media outlet that reportedly spoke to Amini’s father.

Students took to the streets in Tehran on Monday, demanding justice and responsibility for Amini’s death when protesters clashed with police in Iranian cities in Kurdistan’s northwestern province this weekend, semi-official news agencies said.

A video circulating on social media shows women in Tehran taking off and waving their headscarves as they chanted “death to the dictator” on Monday. Another video showed a burning motorcycle on a street near the judiciary building in the capital.

Fars, a government-focused news agency, released a video of protesters demonstrating late Sunday in the capital of Kurdistan province, Sanandaj, chanting slogans at officials.

According to Fars, protesters were “unconvinced” by the police’s justification for Amini’s death, saying she died “under torture”.

Security forces fired tear gas at protesters after Amini’s funeral ceremony in her hometown of Saqqez on Saturday, Fars said, while protesters demanding answers allegedly threw rocks at the governor’s office, the semi-official Mehr news said.

At least 38 people were injured in protests in both cities, according to a report released Sunday by Hengaw Organization for Human Rights, a Norway-registered organization that monitors human rights violations in Iran.

US Special Envoy to Iran Robert Malley on Friday called on Iran to “end inappropriate violence against women for the exercise of their fundamental rights.”

“Those responsible for her death must be held accountable,” he added.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said he “categorically rejects all interventionist statements by the US authorities regarding Iran’s internal affairs”.

“If the US government is concerned about the Iranian nation, it should lift its decades-long brutal, one-sided and illegal blockade against the Iranian nation,” he added.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here