Sunak denies racism plays a role in British Prime Minister’s race – Times of India

0
12


LONDON: Conservative party leadership contender of Indian descent Rishi Sunak has said he knows he is behind British Foreign Secretary Liz. state truss in the British Prime Minister’s race, but he doesn’t think racism is to blame. Sunak said in an interview with the Daily Telegraph.
Sunak was born in the United Kingdom to a Kenyan born Hindu Punjabi father, who has ancestral roots in Gujranwala, now in Pakistan, and a Tanzanian born Hindu Punjabi mother with family roots in India.
Gujranwala-born conservative donor Lord Ranger recently said Britain will be considered racist if Sunak loses the leadership election, while The Times quoted Sunak loyalists over the weekend as saying Sunak was the victim of a “little latent racism” from members.
“I definitely don’t think that’s a factor in anyone’s decision,” Sunak told the Telegraph. “I just don’t think that’s right. I’ve been selected as an MP in Richmond… Our Members rightly put credit above all else. I’m sure when they consider this question they are just figuring out who is the best person to to become prime minister… Gender, ethnicity and everything else has nothing to do with it.”
During his opening speech at the first hustings in Leeds, Sunak had said: Sun had shined so much on the campaign trail that someone complimented him with the words, “Wow, you got a great tan,” which sparked laughter from the audience.
Sunak told the Telegraph that he felt the issue of raising taxes dominated the competition too much and that he was not given a chance to talk about his vision for Britain, which includes encouraging companies to invest in new machines, equipment and research and development, capital market reforms after Brexit to keep money flowing to high-growth companies, reform the NHS and ensure that every British child receives a world-class education.
Still, Truss has been in charge since the battle for the British prime minister moved from the House of Commons to wider party membership.
Betting exchange Smarkets gives Truss a 90% chance of succeeding Boris Johnson as prime minister, while Sunak’s chances of winning the Tory leadership race have fallen to just 10%.
Sunak and Truss are currently on a six-week hustings tour to convince some 200,000 conservative party members, only a small percentage of whom are of Indian descent, to vote for them.

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA

FacebookTwitterInstagramKOO APPYOUTUBE





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here