US: University of Maine to be locked after campus gunshot – Times of India

PORTLAND: The campus of a liberal arts college in Maine was on lockdown early Saturday morning after a shot was fired at a student housing complex during what one student called a massive annual celebration. Colby College said no students were injured in an altercation that involved a firearm being discharged at the Alfond Senior Apartments on campus in Waterville, Maine.
No Colby students were injured and the suspect was not connected to the university, while police continued to search for others involved, the school said in a statement.
The police did not see any immediate danger to the campus community, but asked the students to remain in their places all night as a precaution, the college said.
Normal operations were expected to resume in the morning and counseling services would be available for individual and group support on campus, with staff providing overnight support to students, the school said.
An email sent to the student body at 2:21 a.m. by Interim Dean of the College Barbara Moore and shared by a student said that the The Waterville Police Department “have a person in custody who attended events there and fired a gun.”
“We are urging you to shelter in place until we have additional information that the campus is completely safe,” Moore wrote, not immediately responding to an email from The Associated Press.
Waterville police did not immediately respond to a message from the AP asking for additional information.
Landon Kissellan 18-year-old freshman from Manhasset, New York, said he left campus by car “to play it 100 percent safe,” about five minutes after receiving a message about the incident at 1:49 a.m.
“We have an open campus, so there is no security whatsoever to prevent anyone from entering or leaving campus, so I could just drive off,” Kissell told the AP in a direct message on social media, adding that he stayed in touch with his friends on campus.
“In the beginning it was more of a state of confusion where no one understood what was going on. Immediately several rumors started circulating about what was really going on,” he said.
“There was definitely some difficulty finding a safe location, but since everyone was already inside because of the temperature, most people either stayed where they were or went to the next building and locked themselves in there,” Kissell said.
Alfond Apartments, where the shot was fired, was the site of what Kissell described as “a huge party night” that lasts for about 24 hours on St. Patrick’s Day each year. The holiday is on March 17, but the party, known as “doghead,” was moved up a week this year because the holiday falls during Colby’s spring break, he said.
Kissell first learned of the lockdown from his assistant in the dorm, who texted students at Sturtevent’s residence.
“Everyone was crazy at first, especially since no one ever expected to have to go on lockdown in little Waterville, Maine,” Kissell said. “But since the school sent an official email, things are improving.”
Kissell did not initially see the email from Moore or another from a student government leader directing students to stay in place.
“I’ve never seen those emails until now, because who would think to check their email in a situation of panic, right?” Kissell said at 3:25 a.m. from his car in the state capital of Augusta, about 20 miles south of the Colby campus. He considered spending the rest of the night with friends at Bates College in Lewiston, another 34 miles south of Augusta.
Founded in 1813, Colby is the 12th oldest liberal arts college in the US, according to the school’s website.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here